Saturday, August 28, 2010

Facebook Fetish????

So I was watching TV and notice that a movie will be coming out soon about the creators of the social networking website Facebook.  I have to admit, it took me a while to get on the train.  For months and months I had people ask me "Are you on Facebook?" or tell me "Hit me up on Facebook".  I consider myself a pretty private person so at first the thought of getting on the world wide web for everyone to see felt a little bit uncomfortable to me. But I did it. I set up a Facebook page and let it do what it do. Now, after getting on Facebook, I was one of those people that logged on maybe once a week, just to see what was going on, never posting any messages or comments.  Keep in mind it was still new for me and I was still a bit uncomfortable.  As time went on, I found myself logging on more and more, finding people I hadn't seen in years while at the same time reading intimate thoughts and feelings of others.  Next thing I know, people are sending me hugs and pillows and mafia wars and a whole lot of other stuff that I don't know what to do with. OK, so I said it. I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to Facebook. Still learning how it all works. But I've become addicted just like everyone else. If I don't log on at least once a day to "see what's going on" I feel like I'm missing out on something.  People are on for hours and hours at a time, chatting and posting videos and pictures, opening their lives to the world. So why are we so addicted to it? Why is it so fascinating to go online to see pictures and read words of encouragement from people you barely knew in high school? Better still, are we that comfortable in society that we can post our family pictures for all to see, along with our birthday and our children's names etc. etc. etc.????

What about our children.....Should we encourage our kids to tell their every move on Facebook? How about the grown-ups? Do you really want everyone in the world to know that you are about to go to Florida on vacation so that the criminal-minded individuals can use that as an opportunity to break into your house? OK, I know, very pessimistic. Probably comes from watching too much Law and Order and CSI. But the fact remains, we live in a technological society where the criminals have taken it to a new level.

Then there are the Facebookers who share their most intimate feelings about people on Facebook, only for that information to get right back (no kidding) to the person that the comment was about. Do you think Facebook should be used to disclose personal feelings?  Then again, what exactly do you think Facebook should be used for?

There have been news reports of marriage break-ups, job firings, fights, controversy on top of controversy, all by way of Facebook. Have we taken it too far? 

Let me know your thoughts.  And by the way, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what a Mafia War is!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment